Excellence for each student.
The Oregon School for the Deaf is a community that fosters lifelong learning, encouraging individuals to become self-fulfilled, productive citizens.
All students enrolled at the Oregon School for the Deaf are entitled to the best education that our resources can provide. Each student is valued as a unique individual, to be treated with dignity, in an atmosphere where individual differences are accepted. We believe that each student can learn, and accept the challenge of providing a nurturing environment which allows each student to fulfill his/her potential. We endeavor to instill in all students the intrinsic value of learning.
Guiding Beliefs of Philosophy Statement
- We set high standards for student achievement and work to provide the best education possible for each individual.
- We foster a creative, motivating, barrier-free communication environment that recognizes and honors Deaf Culture, American Sign Language, and Deaf role models.
- We provide instruction, model values, and demonstrate ethical behavior that will develop character and motivate our students to become enriched, empowered and involved citizens within their communities.
- We cultivate a campus-wide respect for individual values and cultures. We cultivate a positive, safe environment for each student for learning, living, working and belonging and we recognize everyone who works at OSD as an educator.
- We believe mutual support and involvement, and open and direct communication among staff, parents and students are critical elements to success.
- We maintain campus-wide, fair and consistent discipline, thereby teaching our students responsibility.
- We provide instruction, model values, and demonstrate ethical behavior that will develop character and motivate our students to become enriched, empowered and involved citizens within their communities. We are a safe community in which students feel a sense of belonging.
- Our staff recognizes and promotes the importance of developing self-respect and our staff and students respect individual values and cultures.
- We promote and support academic excellence and actualization of potential for staff and students.
- We facilitate learning through communication; students have access to communication throughout campus. (ASL, speech, written and printed English) and provide opportunities for students to interact with deaf adults and peers.